Traveling can be an incredible experience and is one of the best ways to make new memories and try new things. Though, it is always important to be prepared during your travels. Hurricane season is upon us and having a plan in case of a storm popping up is essential. Here at NYAH, we have a few helpful tips to help you stay safe and enjoy your time at our Key West lodging.
Before You Leave Home
Many preparations for traveling during hurricane season happen before you even leave your home. There are a few things that you should have on a checklist of things to do before embarking on your adventure.
- Get travel insurance. Many people don’t think about getting travel insurance, but it can be vital if anything goes haywire on your adventure. It not only gives you peace of mind knowing you are covered in case of emergency, but it also comes in handy at unexpected times.
- Make a copy of your important documents. Make a copy of things such as your driver’s license, birth certificate, passport, and insurance to leave with someone you trust. This way if any flooding or turbulent weather ruins the originals, it is not as difficult to get new copies.
- Read up. When traveling to someplace new, it is always important to read up on if your destination has any emergency weather protocols so that you can have a plan if you need to take action in inclement weather situations. Most Key West lodging has some plan in place in case of emergency, and you can ask one of our NYAH staff members what to do in the event of a hurricane.
- Follow the weather. It is imperative to watch the weather not only for when you get there but for travel advisories and possible flight changes. We suggest downloading an app on your phone that will alert you of any severe weather that may be forming in your area and where you are headed. Hurricanes do not tend to sneak up on people, but it is important to make sure that you know what could be headed your way and decide if you need to reschedule your getaway.
Have A Plan
Having a plan can mean a few things when it comes to hurricane season safety. You will want to think about an emergency evacuation plan just in case, and it is a good idea to bring along a hurricane emergency kit. Though there are several options for hurricane kits that you can buy online, or you can make one at home. You will want all of these items in your kit:
- A first aid kit
- Antibacterial wipes
- Non-perishable foods
- Battery, solar, or crank powered flashlight/weather radio
- Extra batteries
- Portable charging device for your phone
- A physical map of your destination and its surrounding areas
Not many flight companies will allow you to bring food and beverage along, so if severe weather is approaching, make sure you know where a local store near your Key West lodging at NYAH is to purchase the few things you need — like canned food.
Enjoy The Most Of Your Stay
It is not common to be impacted by a hurricane while on vacation, but if you are, it is always important to be prepared. However, do not let hurricane season scare you away from traveling this time of year. The beaches are still beautiful, and NYAH is waiting for you to get away with us. If you have a plan and are prepared, it is easy to enjoy the most of your Key West getaway.